Advanced Cisco Router Configuration Questions
I compiled these questions while in the process of revising and studying for the Cisco ACRC exam. Hopefully, they cover the vast majority of the stated course objectives. I have written some questions without multi-choice. In the exam you are expected to know certain commands, so it is good practice to memorise them. I cannot guarantee success in the real exam by getting all of these questions correct, because as of writing I have yet to sit the exam myself. These questions are NOT braindumps and are released freely for people to test their knowledge of what I consider to be a very difficult subject.
I will release my interpretation of the answers in due course. There may be typos or grammatical errors, I may have even slipped up on my IOS syntax. So check yourself. It would be beneficial if other ACRC students devised similar sort of questions to aide in the study process.
Good luck to all.
1. You intend to configure your ISDN router to be enabled for back-up at 45%. You also intend the back-up connection to remain up indefinitely. What command will you enter?:
2. What is the default Administrative Distance for EIGRP (internal)?
3. What type of Link State Advertisement describes a set of routers attached to a particular network and are flooded within the area that contain the network?
a) Router Link
b) Network Link
c) Summary Link
d) Autonomous Link
4. Match the following LSA Types to their correct names:
a) Type 1 I) Summary Link
b) Type 2 ii) Autonomous System External
c) Type ¾ iii) Router Link
d) Type 5 iv) Network Link
5. Enter the command to verify the IPX neighbours discovered by EIGRP?
6. What command would prevent a router from establishing a neighbour adjacency with a router connected to the same link as that specified in the command?
7. What command is required on all RIP/IGRP routes that must use a default route?
8. What does the value 94 represent in the fair-queue 94 command?
9. Which of the following IP addresses could be classed as a private address:
10. In which table is the feasible successor route kept?
a) Routing table
b) Neighbor table
c) Topology table
d) Successor table
e) Back-up table
11. You need to configure an alternative to Access-Lists for the address 184.108.40.206/0 that will save CPU cycles. What command would you enter?
12. Name the two default criteria EIGRP uses for determining its metric.
13. List two ways IPX/SPX may be routed over a WAN connection.
14. You wish to telnet into a Cisco 2501 from a device located on network 220.127.116.11 . The standard Access-List permitting traffic onto the Ethernet I/F for this address has been created on the 2501. What two other commands are needed to complete the process?
15. What command must be issued to all routers within an Area to define the Area as Stubby?
16. What items are kept in the EIGRP Neighbor Table? Select four.
b) Destination address
c) Trigger time
d) Time trip (TT)
e) Smooth Round Trip Time (SRTT)
f) Neighbor address
g) Source address
h) Hold time
17. Name two techniques, other than Access-lists or Passive-Interface, to disable routing updates across an ISDN link.
18. What command must you issue on the ABR to define the Area as Totally Stubby?
19. Link State routing can be used with Snapshot routing True or False?
20. What command would you enter to spoof a periodic NetWare protocol query for inactive workstations?
21. After receiving a multicast LSU packet, the Designated router floods the LSU across the network. What multicast address does it use?
22. Name three features of Snapshot routing:
a) Irregular Routing updates
b) Hub and Spoke network
c) Quiet Periods
d) Link State routing
e) Meshed Network
f) Regular updates
23. How does OSPF use the Dijkstra algorithm to select the best route?
a) Hop Counts
b) Calculate least bandwidth between location router and destination router
c) Calculate least delay between location router and destination router
d) Adds up the total cost between location router and destination router
e) Calculate the nearest adjacency between location router and destination router
24. What is the type of Bridging developed by IBM for use in Token Ring Networks?
e) SRB Transparent
f) SRB Translational
25. List three items that are incorrect with this command syntax-
Priority list 18 protocol IP normalise TCP 23
26. Name three principal components that make up OSPF Multi-areas?
27. What command would you issue to display the contents of the topological database, which would provide the Router ID and Process ID?
28. This ISDN point references the connection between the NT1 and the ISDN network?
29. I have a network address of 18.104.22.168/27. How many subnets and hosts will I be able to utilise?
30. What is the routing protocol for AppleTalk and how frequent does it update?
31. What type of BGP session occurs between routers in different AS, which are normally adjacent?
32. Calculate the route summarisation for a router table containing the following addresses:-
22.214.171.124/22 126.96.36.199/22 188.8.131.52/22
184.108.40.206/22 220.127.116.11/22 18.104.22.168/22
33. What command would you use to configure the selected network 6d as the default network?
34. What protocol carries BGP sessions?
35. What three elements are inherent in Dialer Profiles
a) Dialer map class
b) Dialer threshold
c) Dialer load
d) Dialer interface
e) Dialer snapshot
f) Dialer backup
g) Dialer pool
36. You wish to verify the hello interval and know neighbor adjacencies what command would use?
37. Name three advantages which separating a large AS into smaller areas would bring?
38. After issuing the appropriate helper-address forwarding command you now wish to specify only a NetBios datagram  broadcast packet. What command would you use?
39. Select four key parameters a router needs to route information:
a) Eigrp Database
c) Possible routes
e) Source address
f) MAC address
g) Destination address
h) Best paths
40. What type of queuing method can you reserve a percentage of bandwidth based on protocol and source interface?
41. Select three link state routing protocols
a) IP RIP
b) AppleTalk RTMP
c) IPX NLSP
e) IP OSPF
f) IPX RIP
42. Where would you normally place your NAT routers?
a) Standard areas
b) Backbone areas
c) Stub areas
d) Totally stubby areas
43. What ISDN protocol set deals with concepts and terminology?
a) E series
b) I series
c) Q series
44. Enter the correct sequence of events to describe how EIGRP discovers routes utilising the various key phrases
a) Update packets
b) Hello packets
c) Primary & backup router selection
d) Initialisation process
e) Ack packet
f) Topology table update
45. You want to instruct the router to issue SAP updates only when a change occurs. In an EIGRP network what command would you use?
46. You intend to evaluate a Wide Area Network, what are four issues that must be considered:
b) Routing protocol
c) Hardware type
f) Ease of management
g) Cisco software 11.1 or greater
47. This type of LSA is originated by ABRs and describes the links between the ABR and internal router of the local area;
a) Type 1
b) Type 2
c) Type ¾
d) Type 5
48. How many hello packets must a router fail to receive to understand that its neighbor is unavailable:
49. List two causes of network congestion
a) Network design issue
b) Inefficient routing protocol
c) Router memory
d) Bursty traffic
50. You attempt to configure a network routing IPX RIP and a network routing OSPF, but cannot complete the command why is that?
a) OSPF supports different metrics
b) OSPF does not support redistribution
c) OSPF does not support IPX/SPX stack
d) IPX/SPX does not support default routes
51. You organisation operates over two sites; the remote site does not have routing capabilities and utilises bridge segmentation. What method of Bridging will you use to connect the central routed site with the remote bridged site?
e) SRB/ Transparent
52. You are required to configure a secure link from a Cisco 1603 across an ISDN line to a non-Cisco router. What type of encapsulation protocol would you choose/
53. You have network 22.214.171.124 that you wish to hide. All other routes are being advertised out of the S1. What three commands should you issue to stop this address from being advertised?
54. You are configuring Primary rate ISDN utilising an E1 link connected to a pri-net5 switch. You now wish specify the slot frame type. What command will you enter?
55. What specific command would you use to ascertain protocol, frame type, Mac address and filters for a Bridging Virtual Interface 1 ?
56. From the following config script find 3 different error that may cause problems:
· Bridge 64 protocol ieee
· Bridge-group 64
· Bridge 64 priority 65343
· Bridge group 64 path-cost 25236
57. After redistributing your routes between 2 AS configured for IGRP and OSPF. You observer a routing loop .After creating a standard access-list of redistributed routes you now wish to amend the Administrative Distance of IGRP to resolve the routing loop. What command would you enter?
58. In what state do the DR and BDR establish adjacencies with each router in the network?
a) Init state
b) Full state
c) Acknowledge state
d) Start state
e) LSA state
f) Exstart state
g) Loading state
59. What new feature in Cisco 11.2 or later provided a mechanism to aid control traffic volume for particular hosts/applications:
60. Name three key requirements for a scalable network.
g) Non-protocol specific
61. What command should I issue to observe the queuing status of all interfaces
a) Show interfaces
b) Show queueing
c) Show custom-queue
d) Show queue all
e) Show queuing
62. You are required to configure a legacy DDR link. What would be the first and minimal configuration to permit the line to be brought up and begin packet transmission?
63. What command would you enter to determine whether routes were being added or dropped from the route table?
64. You are required to configure CHAP authentication on your ISDN connection. What command would you use together with two user defined variables?
65. This field is located in the IEEE802.5 header to determine through which Token rings network segments a packet must transmit?
66. You need to bridge two token rings on separate networks, the local ring is 502 and the target ring is 503, the Bridge number is 7. What command should you enter to bridge these networks?
67. What metric does NLSP use?
d) Hop count
68. What range of access-lists can be used for AppleTalk?
a) 200 - 299
b) 300 399
c) 400 499
d) 500 599
e) 600 699
f) 700 799
69. What type of bridging method would enable source route stations to communicate with transparent bridge stations with the help of an independent bridge which provides translation for the two bridged protocols?
e) SRB/ Transparent
70. You intend to create a default network for 126.96.36.199 . What command would you issue?
a) Route(config) # IP default-network 188.8.131.52
b) Route(config-if) # IP default-network 184.108.40.206
c) Route# IP default-network 220.127.116.11
d) Route(config) # IP default network 18.104.22.168
71. What command would you enter to define an area (# 3) as stubby?
a) Router(config)# area 3 stub no-summary
b) Router(config-router)# area 3 stub
c) Router(config-if)# area 3 stub
d) Router(config-router)# area 3 stub no-summary
72. Select three indications of a distance vector routing protocol.
a) Uses the Dijskstra algorithm
b) Sends updated routing tables to neighbors
c) Uses cost as the metric value
d) Utilises hop count up to 255
e) Uses Bellman-Ford algorithm
f) Establishes an Adjacencies routing table
g) Receives routing tables from routers of 2 hops or more away
h) Follows split horizon algorithm
73. I wish to modify the cost value assigned to an OSPF interface to a value of 32656. How would I do this?
a) Router(config-if)# Ip ospf cost 32656
b) Router(config-if)# Ip-ospf cost 32656
c) Router(config-if)# Ip ospf-cost 32656
d) Router(config-router)# Ip ospf cost 32656
e) Router(config)# Ip ospf cost 32656
74. You have devised a custom queue list #36. You now wish to link the list with an interface. What command would use
a) Custom queue list 36
b) Custom-queue list 36
c) Custom-queue-list 36
d) Custom queue-list 36
75. What command would you enter to establish the primary network number c2a that refers to your router while configuring NLSP connectivity?
76. I need to understand how many hellos, updates, queries and acks I have received on my EIGRP network. What command can I use?
a) Show ip protocols
b) Show ip EIGRP topology
c) Show ip EIGRP neighbor
d) Show ip EIGRP traffic
e) Show ip EIGRP database
77. You wish to configure a loading threshold on your legacy DDR connection. This threshold will trigger another call to increase bandwidth. You require this call to be made at 100% load. What command will you use?
a) dialer load-threshold 255 either
b) dialer threshold-load 255 either
c) dialer load threshold 100 either
d) dialer threshold-load 100 either
e) dialer loading-threshold 255 either
78. I need information on the virtual links in my OSPF network. What command shall I use ?
a) Show OSPF virtual-links
b) Show OSPF links
c) Show ip OSPF virtual
d) Show ip OSPF virtual-links
e) Show ip OSPF virtual links
f) Show OSPF virtual links
79. BGP makes its routing decisions based on network policy and not metrics? True or false?
80. How is ISDN basic rate commonly referred to as?
b) 2B D
c) 2 BD
81. How would you configure that network 22.214.171.124 was part of the EIGRP AS?
a) Router(config-if) # Network ip eigrp 126.96.36.199
b) Router(config) # Network ip eigrp 188.8.131.52
c) Router(config-router) # Network ip eigrp 184.108.40.206
d) Router(config-router) # Network 220.127.116.11
82. What table includes route entries for all destinations that the router has learned for each configured routing protocol?
a) Routing table
b) Topology table
c) Neighbor table
d) Successor table
e) Eigrp table
83. You need to display connected nodes on your NLSP router, as well as the interface state. What command would you enter to view these?
84. When would you use BGP? Select one.
a) If you require quick and simple connection
b) Require a small routing table
c) Connect two ISPs or more
d) Establish an autonomous system
85. This point references the connection to the customer switching device or NT2.
86. This packet switched Wan protocol can be used to encapsulate X25 and provides reliability and flow control on a point-to point line.
87. You administer an IPX network, utilising EIGRP updates. You wish to reduce SAP updates within AS 225. What command will you use?
a) Router(config-if)# Ipx sap interval eigrp 225
b) Router(config-if)# Ipx sap-incremental eigrp 225
c) Router(config)# Ipx sap-incremental eigrp 225
d) Router(config-router)# Ipx sap incremental eigrp 225
88. Select three criteria that would meet the definition of a Stub Area.
a) Accepts Type 5 LSAs
b) Located in Area 0
c) Uses default route 0.0.0.0
d) Reduced routing table
e) A transit area for virtual links
f) Accepts type ¾ LSAs
g) Has an ASBR attached
89. Which of the following guidelines for redistribution of network routes would be safe to heed?
a) If using ASBR and require 2-way redistribution, do not use default, filters or changed metric, this will lead to black holes.
b) On your important network establish 2 way redistribution
c) On a single internetwork, do not run differing protocols
d) It is not essential to have in depth knowledge of your network
90. You are configuring your legacy DDR and wish to set the idle timeout of the line to 64 secs. Which command will you use?
a) Dialer idle timeout 64
b) Dialer timeout-idle 64
c) Dialer time idle 64
d) Dialer idle-timeout 64
91. On my eigrp network I need to view the active/passive states of my routes, # of successors and feasible distance. How can I do this?
92. On your ospf network, 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.224, you want to instruct the ABR to summarise routes for area 2. What command would do this?
a) Router(config)# area 2 range 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.224
b) Router(config-if)# area 2 range 126.96.36.199 255.255.255.224
c) Router(config-router)# area 2 range 188.8.131.52 255.255.255.224
d) Router(config-router)# area range 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.224 2
93. You are creating a dialer profile and now need to create the dialer interface. On this interface you need to input the following dialing information: Number to dial =761242; map class=crosshouses. What would be the correct command to do this?
a) dialer class crosshouses number 761242
b) dialer pool 761242 class crosshouses
c) dialer-string 761242 class crosshouses
d) dialer profile 761242 class crosshouses
e) dialer-class crosshouses number 761242
94. What would be the consequence of an incorrectly configured routing redistribution? Select one.
a) Increased traffic
b) Protocol variance
c) Inconsistent convergence time
d) Corrupt routing tables
95. This wan connectivity protocol provides a connectionless packet service. It can use fibre or copper. It supports speeds of 44.7 mbps on DS3 lines.
e) Frame relay
96. Select three criteria that meet the definition of a Totally Stubby area.
a) Attached to area 0
b) Smaller routing table than stubby area
c) Accepts type ¾ LSA
d) Default summary link 0.0.0.0
e) Used as transit area for virtual links
f) Accepts Type 5 LSA
g) Does not accept type ¾ LSA
97. You wish to verify how many times the dialer string has been reached and information about the idle timer. What command would you use?
a) Show ISDN status
b) Show ISDN active
c) Show dialer
d) Show ISDN stats
e) Show dialer status
98. You wish to assign access-list 25 to filter incoming routing updates on E1 interface. What is the correct command?
a) Router(config)# distribute-list 25 in e1
b) Router(config-router)# distribute list 25 in e1
c) Router(config)# distribute list 25 in e1
d) Router(config-router)# distribute-list 25 in e1
99. You wish to summarise a network in AS 8, for 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.224 .What command will you use?
a) Router(config)#ip summary-address eigrp 8 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.224
b) Router(config-if)#ip summary address eigrp 8 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.224
c) Router(config-if)#ip summary-address eigrp 8 126.96.36.199 255.255.255.224
d) Router(config)#ip summary address eigrp 8 188.8.131.52 255.255.255.224
100. You want to configure a default route for your IPX network #2110. What command to use?
a) Router(config)#ipx advertised-default route-only 2110
b) Router(config-if)#ipx advertised-default-route-only 2110
c) Router(config)#ipx advertised default route only 2110
d) Router(config)#ipx advertised-default-route-only 2110