From: "eric nguyen" <checkpointgeek@yahoo.com>
To: <security@groupstudy.com>; <cisco@groupstudy.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 4:51 PM
Subject: Too much Security Overkill on wireless network???

Hi,

I have assigned the task of setting up a wireless network for my company

and I am wondering that I use too much "security" for the wireless.

Currently, I am setting a test wireless network for about 5 users.
Eventually, this

network will have about 50 users.  My set up is as follows:

1) The wireless network is sitting on the DMZ network.  This DMZ network
is hang

off an interface of a pix firewall (Pix-525).  Wireless users are
required to use

Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol (PEAP)  in order to log

onto the wireless DMZ network.

2) In order to access the company iternal network which hang off the
"inside"

interface of the pix firewall, wireless users must use Cisco VPN Client
IPSec

to establish a secure VPN tunnel between their device and the Pix
firewall.

3) After succesfully establish the VPN tunnel between the wireless device
and the

Pix firewall, wireless can only access the company internal network
applications

via SSL, SSH, POP3s and IMAPs.  I have a few users that tunnel
X-application via

SSH connections.  Applications such as POP3, telnet and IMAP are not
allowed

from the DMZ network into the company internal network.

So far the test is going well.  However, my concern is that this will not
scale well for

a large number of wireless users.  For example, let say for SSH
connection, the

traffic is "encrypted" by SSH.  Below that, it is "encrypted" via IPSec.
Finally, it is

"encrypted" by PEAP.  I've not done any analysis yet but it is possible
that 50% of

the traffic is just "overhead" traffic for encryption.

Anyone has successfully implemented a "secure" wireless network on large
scale?

I would like to get your advise on this.  I have to present a
recommendation to

my CTO in a next few days.

By the way, my company did hire a CCIE security consultant to work with
me on

this project; however, this CCIE security is a "f_cking" moron.  Not only
he doesn't

know anything about PEAP, but he even suggested that we use Cisco LEAP

because LEAP is much more secure than PEAP.  After he couldn't get PEAP

work, the SOB suggested that we switch to Cisco LEAP.  When we don't want

use Cisco LEAP, he suggested that we just use "shared (aka STATIC WEP)"

authentication because we are using IPSec and Secure applications to
access

the company internal network anyway.  The problem with this idea is that
once

wireless users are on the dmz wireless network, they can surf the
Internet

without restrictions.  I don't want strangers (if they get a hold of the
STATIC WEP

KEY) to use my company bandwith to use the Internet.  I want PEAP because

it is safe and secure.  I am also testing EAP-TTLS but haven't had much
luck with

it.

I am sure the CCIE security consultant that turned out to be a f_cking
moron,

pardon my language, is more of an exception rather than the rule.
However, I am

suprised that someone like that can pass the CCIE security lab.  By the
way, I

checked with Cisco and he does have a CCIE Security certification #.

Enough of me venting out my frustration.  Please advise.

Eric