RE: Taking MCNS Beta- RESULTS posted 08/22/2002

I just got back from the MCNS Beta.  I have mixed reviews.

The Good:

There is a slick new format that is (IMHO) significantly harder than the
standard CCNP level exams.  The test does a much better job of challenging
the test taker.  Not only were there the real-life scenarios and router CLI
stuff, but the multi-choice questions were chock full of "Pick Three" answer
type questions.  Gone are the days of "pick the best answer" and guess
correctly.  I really like this.  I think the old CCNP R&S tests were a joke.
I am happy with this aspect of the new exams.

Like others have posted, the outline material has changed for this test.
They moved some stuff around to the other beta tests.  It seems to make more
sense to me.

I had close to 100 questions and 2 hours to do it.  Again, more questions
means more topic material to know and understand.  Another plus.

The Bad:

The test had some trouble loading with some Windows DLL errors, but it
finally came up.

There is no method for question feedback.  I would think that for a beta
test they would desire this more than anything.  Some questions were quite
ambiguous and others had some minor errors.  Having a comments button is a
must.

There were also a lot of "fill in the blank" questions, which I do not
particularly agree with. It only encourages people to memorize commands
without really understanding them. It also penalizes those who like to use
abbreviations, like me!  Who the hell types "copy running-config
startup-config" when you can just type "wr"? (Note, this is just an
arbitrary example and not a real test question).

There was no way to go back and review previous questions.  Once you click
"Next" you were done with that question for good.

The biggest downer is that I have to wait 12 freakin' weeks for the result!
This does not jive with my 21st Century "Gotta Have It Now" mentality...or
maybe I am just spoiled ;)

I also want to thank those who responded to my original post.

-Joe #8588