Re: a question... [9:2316] posted 12/18/2002

If  interfaces on the unix machine belong to same segment, it is allowed to
give two ip address in the same subnet to the two different interfaces.
This connections can be used as load balancing. The restriction is that
gated or routed should not run on that unix machine.
If interfaces on the unix machine belongs to different LAN segments, this
type of configuration is not allowed.

The answer to your below question is that possibly any unix machine will
select the lowest numbered interface as gateway.
No load balancing will take in place.

Thanks ,

Umit.

"alok"

cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: a question...
[9:2316]

nobody@xxxxxxxxx

y.com

                      12/18/02
06:59

PM
                      Please
respond
"alok"

okie, lets take the OSPF out for a while......

if I have a "unix" machine with 2 NICs as my gateway for a network....

and both those NICs are in the same network...

and on each node/PC i configure the 2 IP addresses of each NIC as the
gateways.....

what is wrong with that.....fine, you may say "one NIC may be preferred for
traffic coming into this LAN"...but logically if the kernel code is fine,
it
should support NIC load balancing...right?