RE: [ISIS ISO Address [9:2017] posted 09/03/2002

In the IS-IS design book from cisco press

It says you want multiple nets if you are doing an area migration.

-----Original Message-----
From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Curtis Call
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 8:44 AM
To: juniper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ISIS ISO Address [9:2017]

>From what I've seen in the lab it is possible to configure a Juniper
router
with three different ISO area addresses.  Only one can be configured per
interface however so if you really want to do this you'll have put one
on
each
interface.  Also keep in mind that unlike OSPF the ISO area address
applies
the entire box, not just the interface so if you have the following NETs
configured (on different interfaces):

49.0001.0000.0000.0001.00
49.0002.0000.0000.0001.00
49.0003.0000.0000.0001.00

Then the router will consider itself to be part of ISO areas 49.0001,
49.0002,
and 49.0003 and will create a Level 1 adjacency with another ISIS router
out
any interface as long as the peer also belongs to one of the three
areas.
(Make sure you use the same sysid on all the NETs you configure,
otherwise
the
router will only select one of the NETs).

Still, as was mentioned by another poster, I don't know how applicable
this
would be to a real world network, but I guess it's nice to play with if
you
are trying to learn the nitty gritty details of ISIS.

http://www.groupstudy.com/list/juniper.html
http://www.groupstudy.com/list/juniper.html