RE: How much $$ for this position? [7:118676] posted 03/06/2007

John, it does sound like a good position. I would be very interested.

And we are all smart :)

Remember working at a high level in IT is a jujitsu move. Maximum results,
minimum effort. I have no college degree (I did however used to hang out at
the Portland State University library in Oregon while I was a homeless 19
year old nothing, and play "muds" all day via telnet, LOL!)

Now, with simple studying and hands-on experience, I'm 28, I make about what
a tenured professor at an IVY league university makes who has a PhD. This is
not an accident. Its a fact, we tackle issues that demand problem solving
skills and above all PATIENCE that is uncommon in any field. I don't want to
start another IT vs Wall street debate, I know darn well I'm pretty darn
small in the scheme of things...

You are looking for a job, and this does seem to be a good one! To be a
valuable player in IT I think its good to get "hands-on" with as many
technical systems and protocols as you can. I have touched exchange a bit in
the past, Redhat and Suse Linux. Frequently I spar here with NRF. He is very
smart too. He is right, if you are doing IT, you have to love it. I love IT
a lot. I have become at master at using google to find hard to find IT
documents and proposals written by smart engineers, so I can read them all
night and not have a girlfriend!

You will make an investment in your career taking a job like this where they
will invest in your future. Training is a huge plus. Most of my past
jobs/clients don't send their people to training. It creates a bad air in
the place. People have relationships and families and need help maximizing
their time to learn as much as possible (We all can't hide in the garage all
weekend with a stack of Cisco press books, and old 2621 routers!)

I would get more information, though before you commit! Make sure you will
be doing what will keep you happy and present growth opportunities every day!

Here is a good example I will leave you with about keeping your options
open. Yesterday an old colleagues name came up. He was a strong Cisco
engineer when I got started out. I found out he gave up Cisco because he
wanted to learn/teach/work with VMWARE. He now is a top VMWARE trainer and
engineer. He works at high level clients and is involved with unix/linux and
other systems projects. You never know what your true passion may be until
you find it. I almost gave Cisco up 2 years ago in favor of Solaris/unix
architecture.

Joe

Message Posted at:
http://www.groupstudy.com/form/read.php?f=7&i=118691&t=118676