From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Russ
Uhte
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 10:26 AM
To: cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: NSA Guidlines and cdp [7:106419]

We're doing a sizeable router/switch audit, and I was going through the
NSA's recommendations (available here:
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_all.cfm)

They recommend turning off cdp because it is an unneccasary service that
could possibly be exploited.  I strongly disagree.  I believe cdp is one of
the best troubleshooting tools available.  They also state that the messages
are sent in plain text, and it would give a potential attacker access to
sensitive information such as versions and platforms.

I'm going to have to explain to my manager why I'm disregarding the NSA's
recommendations.  In a few places, we're running Cisco VoIP, so that's easy
justification in those locations.  But otherwise I'm basing my reasoning on
the facts that there currently aren't any cdp related vulnerabilies, nor
could I found any in the past, and as for the clear text stuff, it's already
my job to ensure that the IOS on the devices isn't vulnerable, so even if
they did find out what version of IOS we are running, there shouldn't be any
vulnerabilities any way...

What are your guys' thoughts on this??  Anything I should add when talking
to my manager??

Thanks,
Russ, CCNP

Message Posted at: