From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
John Neiberger
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 6:12 PM
To: cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PoE Switches [7:104190]

>>> Max Reid 11/1/05 4:41:03 PM >>>
>> I'd like to get some opinions from those who've already been down
>> this path. Let's say I can get a 48-port PoE switch from Brand C for
>> $4,000. For
the
>> sake of comparison, I can also get a 48-port PoE switch from Dell for

>> under $1,200. If we want to do VoIP, is the added functionality
>> present in the Cisco switch worth the additional $2,800? Or, are we
>> just talking about
>> bit more manual configuration? Is there something significant that
>> we'd
be
>> missing by not using Cisco switches?
>
>tough question, usually for this desktop access layer sort of stuff any

>brand is fair game as long as your willing to tolerate the warts that
>the SMC/Dell gear might impose on your NMS.
>
>Who's providing your Voip gear?
>
>And can you cook chickens with Dell Switches like you can with Dell
Servers?

>Regards,
>Max

I meant to include that Cisco is proposing the IP telephony solution. We
just think they're switches are insanely over-priced. As an example,
assuming that we were to go with Dell switches instead of Cisco switches
we could save about $180,000 on this project. However, I've heard that
Cisco has walked away from IP telephony deals when the customer wanted
to use something else's switches. I guess the solution to that problem
is to keep our existing non-PoE switches and just use midspan power
injectors, like those available from PowerDsine. They do 802.3af and
Cisco pre-standard power and you can get a 48-port model for $1500-1600
or so.

John
*****
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers. 162

Message Posted at:
http://www.groupstudy.com/form/read.php?f=7&i=104209&t=104190