Re: Network Browsing across VLAN's on 6500 switch [7:100169] posted 06/10/2005

We do not run WINS and have 5000 users across hundreds of subnets, spanning
multiple sites and I can browse via Network Neighborhood, login, and see all
the domains just fine. Must be FM :-)

 wrote in message
> Quoting Neteng :
>
> > You do not need WINS anymore, NetBIOS will run directly over TCP/IP.
>
> It's not necessarily about whether NETBIOS runs over TCP/IP or not.
>
>  You would still need WINS for the "Network Neighborhood" to function.
The
> hosts discover each other via Broadcast or WINS, because it's the
computer's
> netbios name (Not the FQDN DNS name.) that shows up in the network
> neighborhood.
>
> This has little to do with DNS or authentication.  Just the silly "Network
> Neighboorhood" function.
>
> Also, Windows 2k does not use 445 for DNS, it uses the RFC compliant port
53
> for
> DNS.
>
>  TCP 445 Is used for *NATIVE* CIFS/SMB *WITHOUT* NETBIOS encapsulation.
If
> you
> are running NETBIOS over TCP/IP then you'll see the gaggle or RPC ports
> (135-139).
>
> Regards,
> Max
>

> > ""Kern, Tom""  wrote in message
> > > In windows you still need netbios even with all win2k/xp clients-
> > > browsing is one service that uses netbios.
> > > Exchange System Manager does as well if you're running Exchange 2k/2k3

Message Posted at:
http://www.groupstudy.com/form/read.php?f=7&i=100218&t=100169