RE: Necessity of Static Commands in PIX Config [7:98221] posted 04/04/2005

Quoting David Mitchell :

> Thank you all for your excellent responses!
>
> I still have one grey area though - the "directional" nature of nonat.
>
> Take the following as an example:
>
> Nat (inside) 0 access-list no-nat
> Access-list no-nat permit ip any 10.20.0.0 255.255.0.0
>
> I understand that this will cause any inside traffic destined to
> 10.20.x.x to NOT be translated - and just use it's native addresses.

Correct.

> However, what about traffic initiating from outside (10.20.x.x) trying
> to get back in?

No transaltion will occur for the return traffic, or traffic originated from
the
outside, UNLESS you enable bi-directional NAT* (Aka Outside NAT, aka
Enhanced
Alias)

See here for more details!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800eb71e.html#wp1063701