Re: FTP being very slow when traversing directories --- Cisco [7:96703] posted 02/04/2005

i am using IPswitch WS_ftp but i have tried couple of others including
linux command line.

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           "John Neiberger"    |
|         |                    |
|         |           Sent by:            |
|         |           nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|         |           m                   |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           02/04/2005 09:22 AM |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           "John Neiberger"    |
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                                                                                               |

|                                                                                                               |
  |To:
cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                   |

|cc:                                                                                                            |

|Subject:                                                                                                       |
  |        Re: FTP being very slow when traversing directories --- Cisco
[7:96702]                                |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

What FTP client are you using?

John

>>> Hemant_Kumar@xxxxxxxxxx 2/4/05 9:19:49 AM >>>
Hi all,

I have a very stranage problem and hope someone might have some insight on
why this is happening and how to fix it.

We have Cisco 2821 and Cisco 1841 routers and we have IPSEC GRE tunnels
between these routers.  We also do NAT on both side of the routers.

We have ftp servers on both sides of the connection.  When we open ftp
connection from either direction, it takes a while before the connection
opens up.  Also when we traverse directiories within ftp, it is very slow.

However when we transfer files, it is very fast 400kbps.

We also have a IPSEC tunnel to the same site on totally different hardware
(Cisoc VPN Concentrator  7206 router) and we do not have this problem.
(We do not want to use this solution as we want to move to router based
solution for all our external connections).  The only difference between
these two is the hardware + encryption we use.  With new solution we are
using AES while with the old one we are using 3DES.

Any suggestion / insights or things that i need to check or comments will
be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

HK