Re: RFCs for the Lab or for lectures? [7:96411] posted 01/26/2005

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> "Chuck Whose Road is Ever Shorte wrote:
>>
>> ""revellis maxim""  wrote in message
>> > Hello everybody,
>> > I heard many people say that it is important to read "as much
>> rfcs as you
>> > can" for the preparation for CCIE lab. I would like to know
>> if in your
>> > experience it is true: I mean is it really necessary after
>> having  so many
>> > books (ccie booklist) treating in depth single topics to read
>> also them?
>>
>> Disagreeing with what other are saying. I saw nothing in the
>> CCIE Lab that
>> made me wish I'd spent more time reading RFC's. I saw plenty
>> that made me
>> wish I'd spent a LOT more time reading the command and
>> configuration docs,
>> and books like Parkhurst's OSPF and BGP books, and then
>> practicing what I
>> saw there.
>>

> Good point. Note that I didn't say read RFCs to get your CCIE, but
> somebody
> needed to tell the original poster that.
>
> I said read RFCs to be a better network engineer.

You will get no disagreement from me on this point. I too have heard lab rat
CCIE's tell some pretty fairy tales.

As someone smarter than I said long ago on this list - The CCIE is merely a
stop along the road, not the end of it.

regards :->