Re: RFCs for the Lab or for lectures? [7:96411] posted 01/26/2005

"Chuck Whose Road is Ever Shorte wrote:

> ""revellis maxim""  wrote in message
> > Hello everybody,
> > I heard many people say that it is important to read "as much
> rfcs as you
> > can" for the preparation for CCIE lab. I would like to know
> if in your
> > experience it is true: I mean is it really necessary after
> having  so many
> > books (ccie booklist) treating in depth single topics to read
> also them?
>
> Disagreeing with what other are saying. I saw nothing in the
> CCIE Lab that
> made me wish I'd spent more time reading RFC's. I saw plenty
> that made me
> wish I'd spent a LOT more time reading the command and
> configuration docs,
> and books like Parkhurst's OSPF and BGP books, and then
> practicing what I
> saw there.

Good point. Note that I didn't say read RFCs to get your CCIE, but somebody
needed to tell the original poster that.

I said read RFCs to be a better network engineer.

Can you really explain TCP sequence number randomization (PIX feature) or
the difference between the distance-vector behavior of OSPF ABRs versus the
link-state behavior of non-ABR routers, or the reverse trees in PIM, etc.

You might need to for some clients. Say you do a network design for a
research university or a government agency that invented the Internet and
has old-timer engineers that will look at you askance if you all you can do
is type configs fast...

Not spending much time on this because the network I'm on is flaky and this
might not get though anyway... Frigging networks. :-)

Priscilla