Re: RFCs for the Lab or for lectures? [7:96411] posted 01/26/2005

"Chuck Whose Road is Ever Shorte wrote:

> ""revellis maxim""  wrote in message
> > Hello everybody,
> > I heard many people say that it is important to read "as much
> rfcs as you
> > can" for the preparation for CCIE lab. I would like to know
> if in your
> > experience it is true: I mean is it really necessary after
> having  so many
> > books (ccie booklist) treating in depth single topics to read
> also them?
>
> Disagreeing with what other are saying.

You'll notice that I didn't say read RFCs for your CCIE. I said all network
engineers should peruse the RFCs at some point in their career. The RFCs
will help a CCIE explain features to a knowlegeable audience. For example,
if a CCIE were designing a network for a reserach university, the CCIE might
be expected to actually explain how TCP sequence number randomization (a PIX
feature) works from a protocol point of view. But the CCIE might not need
this knowledge for lots of audiences, and he or she doesn't need this
knowledge to pass the test. (I use that as an example because I've heard
some ridiculous explanations of that feature by some CCIEs. Randomizing
sequence numbers would break TCP if not done right...)

Cheers.

Priscilla