RE: Deferred packets on Full Duplex link [7:96300] posted 01/24/2005

John, then I guess Cisco output interpreter would need an update too?

-- Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: John Neiberger [mailto:John.Neiberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 5:30 PM
To: cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Deferred packets on Full Duplex link [7:96300]

If both pieces of equipment are Cisco, hard settings both ports is NOT the
best way to go. Set BOTH sides to autonegotiate and you should have very few
problems, certainly fewer than you'll have by hard setting both sides. I
have seen a few cases where autonegotiation just doesn't work but that's
almost always been on a Solaris server with a flaky NIC or driver.

You may also have a bug in the switch IOS. There were a handful of
connection-related bugs on the 2950 around that particular release. Is it
possible for you to upgrade to something more recent?

John

>>> Poulin, Darnell 1/24/05 9:22:47 AM >>>
Here is what the sho int tells me:

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 000d.2989.7cc1 (bia 000d.2989.7cc1)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 10Mb/s
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d02h
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue :0/40 (size/max)
  5 minute ouxtput rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     1431307 packets input, 370478313 bytes, 0 no buffer
     0 watchdog, 160015 multicast, 0 pause input
     2216156 packets output, 1401324783 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 75640 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

Both pieces of equipment are Cisco, so wouldn't you figure that hard
setting
both ports would be best? We've tried auto-negotiate in some other offices
like this, and they don't always auto-negotiate to the same duplex...which
obviously causes very serious performance problems.