RE: Deferred packets on Full Duplex link [7:96300] posted 01/24/2005

Here is what the sho int tells me:

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 000d.2989.7cc1 (bia 000d.2989.7cc1)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 10Mb/s
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d02h
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue :0/40 (size/max)
  5 minute ouxtput rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     1431307 packets input, 370478313 bytes, 0 no buffer
     0 watchdog, 160015 multicast, 0 pause input
     2216156 packets output, 1401324783 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 75640 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

Both pieces of equipment are Cisco, so wouldn't you figure that hard setting
both ports would be best? We've tried auto-negotiate in some other offices
like this, and they don't always auto-negotiate to the same duplex...which
obviously causes very serious performance problems.