Re: Franken IDS help! [7:95677] posted 01/02/2005

Serge

Have you read the discussions on w w w . s e c u r i t y i e . c o m

These should give you the basics.

I haven't built one myself but from what have read you will need to
get your hands on an ids recovery CD, and some compatible hardware
(PC with Intel pro 100 ethernet adapters) then use the installation
procedure that is documented on cisco.com. The recovery CD includes
the operating system so you shouldn't need anything else.

You should however expect that things won't go smoothly and it will
take some manual intervention to get around the various hardware
checks in the software. Apparently the v4 ids is based on Redhat 7.3
so some redhat / linux experience will help.

You should also be aware that building and using a 'FrankenIDS' is
probably (definitely?) in violation of Cisco licensing and as such is
basically illegal.

When you also factor in the time and effort required to set up such a
system, you may find that the 'cost' probably amounts to considerably
more than is worthwhile when compared with the cost of renting lab
time that includes a real IDS system.

Peter

--On 02 January 2005 00:46 -0500 Serge Vondandamo