Re: 6500 firewall module [7:95519] posted 12/23/2004

I have recently installed several of them beasties, and they can be quite
deceptive. Just enough like a PIX that you get confident and then some
difference or nonfeature bites you. Quite a bit more buggy than PIXes, too.

The FWSM is better than a standalone PIX if you need 4.7 Gbps, lots of
interfaces, and/or many security contexts. But, you lose IDS, VPN (and the
VPN module is Alien Technology incarnate), the features typically lag
behing those of a PIX. I like the FWSM quite a bit, but would strongy
advise you to research their limitations thoroughly before investing time &
money. You should be able to arrange some play time in the lab with your
local Cisco office and see if it fits your needs.

Cheers,

JF #11874