unknown devices [7:94367] posted 11/03/2004

management has given a requirement that any time a device is put on my
company network, the network team (me) is alerted.  the fear is someone
could install a sniffer and "instantly have everyone's password".  I know
that's not rational, but you can't fight city hall.

a sniffer is passive, and doesn't even need an ip address, so locked down
dhcp won't necessarily work.  someone could just unplug their laptop and
plug something else in, so disabling unused network drops won't necessarily
work.

so does anyone know of software, hardware or whatever that can alert
whenever a new machine is connected and alert when certain applications,
like sniffers, are running?