RE: Failed RS lab [7:92677] posted 09/10/2004

At 2:57 PM +0000 9/10/04, Kaminski, Shawn G wrote:
>Welcome to the Cisco Cash Cow! Boy, do I have a rotten attitude, or what?
>:-) Just having some fun! Did anyone notice that there's always a thread of
>truth in these smart-a** comments, however?!
>
>Shawn K.

While Nortel had its problems [1], it did do some good advertising.
Admittedly, it was always a mystery to its engineers why it wanted to
know "What do you want the Internet to be", since, as far as we could
tell, top management thought IP was a passing fad, there was one
great commercial where a very proper Englishman said "a cash cow",
and the point of view changed to a cow, covered in dollar signs,
lounging on an elegant couch.

[1] My team in the research lab came up with a massively scalable approach
     to certain kinds of routing, for which we could have built the proof of
     concept for 1-2 million (not large for such prototypes).  It took well
     over a year of meetings and briefings before we got a non-goahead.
     As far as we could tell, they had spent about 2-3 million in salaries
     studying it. I still think the concept is very viable.