Re: 3550, EMI or SMI? [7:89945] posted 06/21/2004

Recent SMI code can also do Layer 3 protocols, and includes some
routing protocols, at least RIP(v2).  If you need OSPF or BGP, then
EMI is what you need.

CCIE lab could require OSPF and/or BGP routing at the 3550, so if
you'd like to be familiar with that, go for the EMI version.