Re: symmetric VS assymmetric nat [7:87793] posted 04/28/2004

Bill Wharton wrote:

> Well, these terms are quite often used in the VOIP SIP world.
> So is a term called full cone NAT

It may refer to the issues related to voice protocols for signalling versus
voice protocols for carrying the actual digitized voice packets. There's
some asymmetry associated with that because the different traffic streams
can flow differently.

The signalling protocols also have some asymmetry and are problematic with
firewalls and NAT because the initiator of the various connections can be
either side. PIX documentation has some basic info on this. I also
discovered this pretty document with beautiful color pictures, etc. :-)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a00800f2853.shtml

Priscilla