RE: Alternate to PING [7:87336] posted 04/19/2004

Bill

Here are a couple of tools that I have found for Windows. They may not be
exactly what you are looking for, but they have helped me get around some
filters. One thing though, I have had a real tough time getting machines to
respond to UDP pings. It seems like most machines do not respond to UDP
echo. But if you have a machine that will respond, these work great.

This is a basic UDP ping program
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~skybuck/

This is a little more advanced command line program.
http://www.rvs.uni-hannover.de/products/rtest/

If the UDP ping doesn't work, try these.

The first is TJPing. The best thing that I have seen with this is that it
allows me to traceroute through Nachi filters. The filters are supposed to
block 92 byte ICMP packets. That is also the size that Windows boxes use for
traceroute. The TJPing uses a 128 byte ICMP packet that will make it through
some filters to allow you to trace again.
http://www.topjimmy.net/tjs/tjping.html

The second is WinMTR. It is about the same thing allowing you to change
packet sizes for trace.
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/

HTH