Re: making ospfv3 multi AF aware [7:87244] posted 04/16/2004

At 4:26 PM +0000 4/16/04, p b wrote:
>Agreed.  I think the multi AF support in v3 will ultimately
>help folks move to IPv6. Instead of having to run two routing
>protocols, one can migrate to OSPFv3 for IPv4, get comfortable
>with v3, and the incrementally enable IPv6.
>
>I think getting to v3 will help eliminate some of the common
>issues we hear about ISIS and v2, namely that it's easier
>to extend ISIS and features tend to get added there first.
>If this help gets folks into v3, and since v3 is TLV based
>like ISIS, we'll see new features get put into v3 and ISIS
>at the same time (or maybe first in v3...)

As you probably know, but isn't often mentioned, OSPF and ISIS are
generally similar but have significantly different assumptions in
their detailed design. Knowing some of the assumptions, I believe,
will help people understand the differences.

OSPF was optimized for high performance on the slow router processors
of the day. You will note that most fields in LSAs are 16- or 32-bit
aligned. OSPF tends to use bit flags for options, so there is a
limitations to the number of options you can have in a 8, 16 or 32
bit string.

ISIS accepted slower processing as a tradeoff against extensibility,
and uses variable-length TLV's (Type-Length-Value) structures to
contain options.  With TLVs, it's fairly unlikely you will run out of
option space.