From: Thomas N [mailto:thomasn@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 8:15 AM
To: cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spanning-tree vs. Windows XP issue [7:87249]

We have been enabling "portfast" on switch ports in the past.  Now that end
users started plugging all kind of cheap unmanaged switches/hubs that caused
the network loop and even brought down partial of the network couple times.
If XP booting time is faster than spanning-tree, what is the suggestion?
enabling "portfast" with a policy in place to prohibit all third party
hub/switch uplink to wall jacks?  Is it a best practice to prohibit these
cheap unmanaged hub/switches?  Thanks!

Thomas

""Joseph Brunner""  wrote in message
> Now when XP claims to be a fast booting OS, you should believe it !
>
> It really does boot fast.. faster than your spanning-tree forwarding
> times without portfast enabled..
>
> If its just hosts (no rogue bpdu's) what the problem with enabling
> portfast ?
>
> It's actually a best practice (dhcp comes to mind).
> http://shop.groupstudy.com
This electronic message, along with any attachments, is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material.  Any proprietary information or intellectual
property contained in this transmission remains the sole and exclusive
property of Marshall & Swift or Marshall & Swift/Boeckh.  No right to use
any products or services described in this transmission is valid without an
executed and paid license agreement. If you received this in error, please
reply to advise the sender and delete the material from any computer.