RE: T-1 speed question [7:86714] posted 04/02/2004

A quick and dirty rule for the webhosting business is:

1Meg bandwidth equals about 320Gig of transfer per month
10Megs bandwidth equals about 3.2Tera of transfer per month
100Megs bandwidth equals about 32Tera of transfer per month
1Gig Ethernet 320Terabit...and so on

So your calculations look about right 8-11 days depending on equipment and
circuit quality and your not sharing the bandwidth with others.

You said:

I was trying to calculate how long it would take to transmit 140
gigabytes over a T-1 line, and came up with a figure of around 210-220
hours, which seemed way too high, calculating a T-1 speed as 1.54 mega
*bits* per second.

Does that sound like a real world number? It works out to around 1.5
giga *bytes* per hour; I would have expected a much faster transfer
rate. (on a good day, I almost get that rate on my cable modem at home)

pg