Re: FW: FW: Telecommunications vs internetworking [7:86571] posted 03/31/2004

At 6:23 PM +0000 3/31/04, Messel, David S (David) wrote:
>You know I don't seem to be able to help myself but answer some of the items
>below.
>
>The Nortel ARN came directly from Bay Networks if anyone remembers that
>name. When it was Bay, documentation and help was easy to get, I know I
>worked with lots of these routers. They are great little and big routers
>that ran forever, in fact I have ran into some that have been in the field
>ten years. I personally liked them.

_Bay_, and earlier Wellfleet, did good work on routers. The
documentation also was excellent -- sometimes when I'd find a Cisco
point hard to follow, I'd go to the "Nortel" site and download Bay's
manual.  Wellfleet consistently seemed to use more meaningful
terminology -- I always like to contr

>The manager you are talking about was not a run of the mill terminal
>emulator but a proprietary interface that could track whole networks of
>routers (and associated configs) for you. I liked it, other than that yes
>the CLI leaves a lot to be liked unless you love working directly with MIB
>variables.

Site Manager had pros and cons. Yes, it could be a management tool,
but it suffered from scalability problems when it tried to manage too
many devices.  At some point, it's worth separating your general
network management and your configuration hosts.

It also could be criticized because it continued the approach of
doing router control with CLI.  Especially when one gets in the
telephone world, you never want to preclude the ability to recover
from a problem if all you have is a dialup terminal.  Site Manager
primarily uses SNMP to communciate with managed devices.

BCC was a very nice hybrid, which looked a fair bit like Cisco
configuration language but had fewer weirdnesses.