RE: Qos Beginner [7:86262] posted 03/25/2004

Thank you all for your responses.
I supposed being in Japan makes it difficult to participate in discussions
real time.

A lot of people raised up the question.
'Do I really need Qos?
I also thought about this question before I started reading.
And I decided to seriously consider implementing Qos,
based on the below reasons.
1. I have VoIP traffic(Not so extensive yet, but will be growing), that I
feel that I should give priority to.
2. My company may start doing some e-learning, which will required
video/audio multicast traffic,
in which case, Qos will come in handy. (based on my shallow knowledge of Qos)
3. I also figures Qos can decrease the damage of certain network
problems/outage.
For instance, I figured it can prevent worms like Blaster and SQL slammer
from completely and spontaneouwly knocking out my network.

Granted, my network is having no bandwidth or performance issues, (except
some WAN links of course)
and it probably won't for any foreseeable future.
However, and please correct me if I am wrong,
but I seemed to see Qos becoming more important with the growing traffic in
all levels of network,
and I see many network admins/engineers implementing Qos in their network.

One may say, I have been reading one too many Cisco documents,  :-)
but this is the impression I get.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Sean

ps. BTW, I am still looking for a good Qos book/document.  :-)