RE: Qos Beginner [7:86262] posted 03/24/2004

At 09:47 AM 3/24/2004, Creighton, Bill wrote:
>One of the hardest parts is researching your traffic patterns -
>
>If you are considering implementing QoS there must be a reason (other than
>"it's QeWL" - Peter) because you'll need to determine what is being
>segregated - what traffic is going to be assigned which priority and how
>much bandwidth is going to be assigned to it...

Personally, I find little compelling reason to deploy QoS in most
networks.  Switches may be an exception due to the small buffer space they
have however.  Even in that case, I'd stick to very simple models.  QoS
often causes more harm then it does good as it can add a lot of complexity,
and thereby opex cost, without solving any particular issues that were
naturally occuring.