Re: Is it a good idea a tech taking a Masters in I [7:86106] posted 03/19/2004

""Marlon Brown""  wrote in message
> I am a sys/network admin responsible for VPN, AD, e-mail system, wireless
> and security subject matter expert for a 4,000+ nodes organization. I also
> do project management, although that is not officially in my job
description
> or title.
>
> Currently I have an opportunity to take a Masters in Information Systems
in
> a prestigious university. I may get a grant to pay part of those studies.
> The program seems to be a mix of MBA+technology.  I have no intention to
> become a manager. I am doing project management alright, but the part of
> solving conflict between people doesn't excite me at all.
>
> Question here:
>
> Do you think such master in Information Systems (MBA+Tech) would benefit
my
> career as sys/network admin  ?
> Would such master ever count 'against' me for future strict sys/network
> admin job opportunities ?

Ooh, back to this subject again.  Gentlemen, start your engines.

The answer to the first question is simple.  If you are absolutely 100% sure
that you will always want to be the hardcore tech-guy and that you will
never care about any of the business-aspects of IT for the rest of your
life, then the program may not be useful to you.  However, if you want to
understand how/why companies invest in technology, or you can see yourself
interfacing with the finance department in justifying technology project
budgets, or if you ever see yourself moving away from hard-core tech-work,
then you should seriously consider the degree.

In particular, given the whole outsourcing/offshoring phenomenom, I wonder
how much longer hardcore propeller-head-type skills will remain valuable.
Networks can be configured and maintained from pretty much anywhere in the
world.  The only part of networking that truly requires a physical presence
is the cabling and the racking/stacking, or in other words, the monkey work
(sorry to use a pejorative term, but we all know it's monkey work).

As far as your second question is concerned, there's no rule that says you
have to list every credential and qualification you have on your resume.  So
anytime you think that that master's degree might count against you, then
simply omit it.  It is unethical to claim qualifications or experience that
you don't have, but I see no problem in omitting qualifications that you do
have.   Incidentally, this is why I think that people who complain that
their degrees are actually hurting them are either feeding me a line, or
don't know how to play the game.    If you really think your job search is
being hurt by your degree, then just omit it.  I know a guy who holds
graduate-degrees from a rather famous schools in the Northeast that I'll
just call 'H' , and who moonlights as an EJB/Oracle developer on the side.
He just omits any mention of 'H' whenever he goes for an EJB/Oracle
contract.