OT::: for those of us that use a sniffer every day.... [7:85293] posted 03/02/2004

taken from    /.

http://www.parc.com/research/csl/projects/obje/

while it looks cool and 'up-coming', I'm thinking t/s this would be a bear.
:(

excerpt:::
=============
 How it works

	Typically, communication among devices or services is structured into
layers
of protocols. Agreement on all layers is required before the devices and
services are built. Developing and gaining acceptance of these agreements is
a long, costly process that depends on broad industry consensus.
The Obje Interoperability Platform builds upon other industry standards. For
example, it can run on top of any mobile code mechanism, such as Jini.

Instead of working out all agreements in advance, The Obje platform
specifies
a few very general agreements in the form of domain-independent programmatic
"meta-interfaces". These meta-interfaces use mobile code to allow new
agreements to be put in place at run-time, enabling devices and services to
dynamically extend the capabilities of their clients.

The Obje meta-interfaces reduce the number of agreements that must be made
between communicating entities. All Obje devices or services, which are
called bcomponents,b implement and make use of one or more of these
meta-interfaces.

The idea sounds awfully familiar, and I've sucessfully purged any DEC
protocol
info from my brain to remember if it was DEC that had something similar. [Go
Beer!]

--
TroyC
---