Re: protect lab from "cop run start" [7:84166] posted 02/12/2004

Hello,
What harm is done when "cop run start" is executed? Let me guess - You need
to "write erase", reload the box(es) and answer some trivial questions while
logged in via console on each of the boxes... This can be automated to a
certain  degree.
First, create an initial config for each router - after doing once "wr
erase", reloading and answering trivial stuff , assign initial parameters
like hostname, create aliases - I recommend one something like "alias exec
f2s copy flash:saved.conf start" (not important, this alias creation can be
skipped) - etc, etc. and do "wr mem".
Second, assign an IP address to the interface of Your choice and tftp the
start config to the server. This will be Your initial config for this
router.
Third, repeat the procedure for every router.
Fourth, copy back the saved initial config to the router's flash (You may
need to do 0x2101+extra reload for 2500 series). Flash normally has some
free space -  only ~1Kbyte is needed to keep the saved config.
Fifth, if You are using terminal server and Your termial emulator has
scripting capability, record the script that logs into every router via
console, executes "copy fash:saved.conf start" (or alias command f2s) and
shedules reload in 2-3 minutes. Otherwise You may need to come up to every
router, connect console and run the script.
Sixth, make sure Your students do not erase files from flash - 2500 series
flash is Read Only in normal operation mode, others may be Read Write (like
2600).
HTH,
Alex