RE: UDP socket error on Cat6500 Switch [7:81568] posted 12/29/2003

you wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 1:54 PM
To: cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: UDP socket error on Cat6500 Switch [7:81568]

This is related to UDP traffic destined to the router/switch itself.
Some
documetation on the Internet says that the UDP port in the message is
the
destination port but other documents say that it is the source and that
probably the error is related to traffic destined to the SNMP UDP port
161.
So be sure to check for excessive SNMP polling for one thing.

To find the source IP address of the device(s) causing this traffic, use
protocol analyzer and the Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) feature. Since
the
UDP traffic is destined to the CPU of the switch, set the SPAN source
port
to sc0.

Try looking up UDP_SOCKOVFL with Google for more info.

Priscilla

Devraj, Prem wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Needed Help in identifying the source IP to this problem.
>
> Can someone tell me on how to find the Source IP address.
>
> Dec 29 08:53:43 [10.28.0.135.4.1] 2003 Dec 29 07:53:23 jst
> +08:00
> %IP-3-UDP_SOCKOVFL:UDP socket 52129 overflow

= = =
Some excellent suggestions. And the number in brackets above
[10.28.0.135.4.1] looks suspiciously like an IP address (10.28.0.135)
with the addition of source and destination port numbers, but those are
unlikely port numbers (I mean 4 and 1).

Does anyone know the key to that number in square brackets?