RE: PIX VPN [7:81265] posted 12/24/2003

I dont mean to start a war here but picked this off lightreading.com......

----EXTRACT--------

The bug caused memory corruption in several Cisco routers, wiping out entire
routing tables and causing delays while routers rebooted and repopulated
their routing tables. The problem continued all morning, affecting ISPs
across the country from Boston to Memphis to San Francisco
(www.lightreading.com was among those affected).

Richard Steenbergen, an independent network engineering consultant, says he
experienced a similar situation with another inter-domain routing protocol,
OSPF, which crashed several Cisco GSR 12000 routers at another large
tier-one carrier a couple of years back. He says the bug and the series of
events that triggered it would not likely appear in testing.

Steenbergen blames Cisco's apparent router instability on its IOS routing
software.

"Because of its monolithic design and lack of protected memory space for
individual components, IOS is notorious for bringing down the entire router
if so much as a single error occurs," he says.

THIS PART IS PARTICULARLY "FUNNY"

But Cisco's McNealis says that if the same problem occured in any other
router, such as one from Juniper Networks Inc. (Nasdaq: JNPR - message
board), it would have had the same effect.