RE: OT: I survive my first two weeks on the job. A st [7:81299] posted 12/21/2003

Congratulations on the job, your degree, and your CCIE.

As far as the job, my advice is to give it time. Your co-workers will
hopefully come around, but it takes time. You have to earn your credibility
and you don't do that with a degree or cert. You do it by showing over and
over again that you have what it takes.

You should try being a woman in this field! :-) It's even harder for us to
gain credibility, but we can do it if we apply perseverence. Prejudices of
all sorts can get in the way for people who are different: younger than the
norm, endowed with different body parts, of a different race, etc. Think
about what prejudice means. It means "pre judge." Unfortunately, many people
pre-judge, but with time, most decent people let go of their prejudices and
judge a co-worker or boss on technical, management, and communications skills.

Firing your workers is a really bad idea. Giving them time to get to know
you as a decent and competent person is a much better idea.

Good luck to you. It sounds like you're off to a great start.

Priscilla