How are things changing, if they are? [7:80841] posted 12/13/2003

Quoting nrf :

> """Chuck Whose Road is Ever Shorter"""  wrote in
> message news:200312131459.hBDExm6E019927@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ""JHays""  wrote in message
> > > you wrote:
> > >
> > > The question of whether a cert or a degree is "better" has been
>
> > > Things have definitely changed.
> > >
> > > = = =
> > >
> > > Yes, your observation is spot on. Instead of jobs being handed out to
> > > anyone that could spell Cisco (dot.com days) the HR folks nowadays have
> > > a long shopping list of requirements for their resume scan. The current
> > > list often includes a 4-year technical degree along with numerous
> > > certifications.
> >

> > with the economy picking up, this may change yet again.
>
> Which way do you think it's going to change?

I am neither an economist, nor do I play one on TV.  With caution, I see
some
trends to telecom growth, perhaps with some different job demands than in
the
past.

One economic indicator, according to some of the financial press, was if
Cisco's last quarterly sales hit $5 billion USD.  Their theory was that
total
sales of 4.8 B or so indicated enterprises were essentially doing
maintenance
and replacement, but no real reinvestment.  Remember there's a great deal of
recent but used Cisco equipment out there.

Cisco hit $5.1B.  IIRC, it was CNN/Money (if it wasn't Fortune) that
suggested
people were watching John Chambers more than Alan Greenspan.

The financial people did say that corporate telecom spending will look very
closely on short-term return on investment (ROI) and on reducing risk.  In
my
mind, this calls for more people with capacity planning and design skills,
who
can also make a business case for investment.  In the short term, at least,
the
commodity approach of throwing equipment and bandwidth at the problem makes
CFOs nervous.  Reports of the death of design may have been exaggerated.

After a very long dry spell, I'm getting work from service providers. Some
of
this seems associated with them preparing for greater customer demand.
There
are also new kinds of carrier players, such as "telephone service
providers", a
term coined by Fred Goldstein that deliberately has no regulatory
definition.
He places, for example, Vonage in this category -- a VoIP provider that buys
but does not own large-scale transmission plant.

High-availability, of which security is a subset, is more of a demand,
reflecting world uncertainties. While both security and converged networks
are
hot, there's less of a commodity aspect in security, and more of a need for
knowledge.