Re: Cisco Switch Power Probs [7:80633] posted 12/12/2003

I had a similar problem in my network.
I managed to solve it by using latest phone firmware in the IP Phone.

Vajira

Matt Saunders wrote:

> Thanks for you reply
>
> I have not changed the IOS, though this was a consideration, i have quite a
> few of these in my network which all have the same IOS and yet only some of
> them seem to be affected - the IOS has been on these switches for some time
> with no problems until now!!!
>
>  i am not sure whether i am having DOS attacks as my traffic patterns don't
> suggest this though im not really too sure how to give a definitive answer
> on whether it is DOS attacks or not.
>
> With regards to your third comment, i don't have any IP phones in the
> network supplying inline power that im aware of though i do have customers
> who implement voice through my network at various sites - I'd be interested
> to know you thoughts on this as im afriad i  don't know too much about the
> VOIP technology and was wondering whether customers using this on there
> networks would affect mine in any way??
>
> Cheers Fausto
>
> Regards
>
> Matt
>
> ""Fausto""  wrote in message
> > If you suspect a DOS at a predictable time you can always put a Snort
> > machine doing bridging between two ethernet and sniff all the traffic.
> > Afterwards is a just a matter of finding out what happened at that time.
> >
> > A question you have changed the IOS??
> > A second one do you have other things connected to the UPS??
> > A third one are there any switching equipment in the neighbourhood that
> > delivers inline power to IP Phone??
> >

> > ""Matt Saunders""  wrote in message
> > > Hi Group
> > >
> > > Has anyone got any tips on how to troubleshoot cisco switch power
> resets??
> > >
> > > I have a couple that seem to be randomly rebooting and am trying to
> figure
> > > out whether i have a power supply problem or whether im suffering from
> DOS
> > > attacks and the switches are rebooting as a result.
> > >
> > > They are Cisco 2950 with the following IOS -
> > c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-13.EA1c.bin
> > >
> > > Also, any ideas at what point the switches or routers for that matter
> > reboot
> > > through loss of power, I am beginning to wonder whether the UPS i use
> > > provide backup are not switching to battery power quick enough and the
> > > device reboots because it notices this minor switch from mains to
> battery
> > > and according to the UPS spec the change over time to batteries are
> around
> > > 2 - 4ms...
> > >
> > > Any advice or suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be great.
> > >
> > > Merry Xmas to you all...
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Matt
> > > UK
> > > **Please support GroupStudy by purchasing from the GroupStudy Store:
> > > http://shop.groupstudy.com
> > **Please support GroupStudy by purchasing from the GroupStudy Store:
> > http://shop.groupstudy.com
> [...]

The information contained in this email is confidential and is meant to be
read only by the person to whom it is addressed.Please visit
http://www.millenniumit.com/legal/email.htm to read the entire
confidentiality clause.