Re: cisco works [7:75589] posted 12/10/2003

CiscoWorks is a very powerfull tool to document network, log changes,
make global configuration change and monitor performance. However, it
has a very confusion GUI if you don't know where the things are. You can
read menus to get it work, but I recommand a training to take the full
advantage of it.

To give you a quick start,  assume you have CiscoWorks LMS, you need
configure SNMP string on your routers/switches, Read only and Read Write
strings are necessary to have CiscoWorks perform its function.  Then you
configure your ANI server to discovery your network, you may want to put
a "seed" device to start  with. By the way, it uses CDP, so you need CDP
enabled on your network.

After ANI server (or we say Campus Manager) discovered your network,
you can sync the discovered device into Resource Essential Manager,
which then can perform backup of your device configurations, check
inventorys, and give you lots of useful reports.

>>> "Marcin Miedziejko"  12/10/03 05:40AM >>>
Hi !

You need also to configure in CW

username
password
enable password.

Setting community rw is risk of security. I dont like click&go apps so
i set
ro community only . In this case i cant download and upload ios by cw.
always do it with commandline. Remember to tune your acl including
only
hosts which need snmp. Mayby there are fewer functions which require
community rw, but i dont use it.

Cody

U?ytkownik ""Higgins, Andrew""  napisa3 w
wiadomo6ci news:200309162309.h8GN9Kt8008140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> It depends on the flavor of CiscoWorks your using.  CiscoWorks for
> Windows, CiscoWorks LMS, CiscoWorks RWAN, and so on.  CiscoWorks for
> Windows is a very basic management package that actually uses
WhatsUP