Re: Upgrading 3750 from SMI to EMI [7:80283] posted 12/07/2003

not to harp ( well, actually, yes to harp ) but these kinds of discussions
miss the point.

what are the kinds of complications that L3 on a switch "might" introduce
into a lab scenario?

only one thing I can think of - if the switch is both a switch and a router,
how to interface it into the rest of the network where it has to appear as
both.

yeah, I know about certain features that are available in the EMI vs. the
SMI image, but that's why there is a doc CD and the printed manuals in the
Lab for your enjoyment.

The key here is to stop thinking in terms of images, and to start thinking
in terms of skill sets. If you can do BGP, what does it matter what the
platform is? Same of OSPF or any other supported routing protocol.

yeah, yeah, I know I ain't no CCIE, but I will wager that anyone who has
passed the lab, if they stop and think about it, will concur.

grumble grumble - if you want to be a CCIE start thinking like one - and
look at the big picture as well as the little one ... grumble grumble - end
of good advice disguised as rant :->