They Might Be Giants! [7:80159] posted 12/03/2003

All,
	I'm troubleshooting giants on an Ethernet switch port and I'm having
some problems. My understanding of giants is that they are packets of a size
larger than the media type can handle... In this case, Ethernet can handle
an MTU of 1518 bytes (excluding the header). The problem with this
definition is that if Ethernet cannot handle packets above 1518 bytes, then
it seems logical to me that the switch-port SHOULD discard them and not
forward them onto the segment. Is this correct, or will giants show up all
along the path from source to destination? Assuming that I am correct,
wouldn't this mean that the problem device should always be directly
connected to the switch port that the giants are showing up on?

Geoff Mossburg