RE: Bridging and Routing [7:79969] posted 12/02/2003

Dale wrote:

> The one Ethernet interface does not have an IP address
> assigned.  I do
> not know if that is necessary.

It's not necessary for a bridged Ethernet interface to have an IP address.

All devices in a bridged network should be in the same subnet. I notice that
this isn't the case for the addresses that you have told us about. The
bridges themselves don't actually need addresses so their being
misconfigured might not be the problem, but check your Ethernet devices.

>  Could different VLANs be a
> factor?

Oh, you're doing VLANs?? If you want separate VLANs, this implies separate
subnets. You need to design your addressing for this. Then you need
inter-VLAN routing. Then you need to set the default gateway appropriately.
Maybe that's what Chuck was getting at before. Maybe you better just start
over. :-)

Priscilla