RE: 3550 CPU OVERLOAD 80% [7:76304] posted 09/27/2003

AFAIK, SNMP engine handles mib and counters lookups. ip snmp handles
packing and unpacking requests and replies from/to ip packets. See show
snmp.
Pool manager handles buffer pools allocation. See show buffers.
I have no idea about VUR_MGR. It seems to be some hardware specific
process. Probably ASIC or some internal interface management.

On 3550 switches generation of ICMP errors, ARP requests/replies,
routing protocols and others are handled by the CPU. Everything else
related to forwarding is handled by the ASICs. The rate at which the
switch can handle central-cpu tasks is limited by several factors (cpu
speed, internal cpu to fabric interface speed...) so you can't expect
for example the switch to produce ICMP errors at wire speed. You have to
take measures to protect your switch from being overwhelmed by these
central cpu tasks.

int X
 no ip unreachables
This will disable generation of ICMP unreachable errors related to this
interface (access prohibited (acl), host unreachable, protocol and port
unreachable for packets addressed to the switch). It is especially
meaningfull to place this command on interfaces that you know will drop
a lot of traffic on (e.g. Null0).

Take a look at
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft
/123_1/ftatosec.htm#1027265
for a good example of how to secure a Cisco router.

BR,
Boyan Krosnov, CCIE#8701
http://boyan.ludost.net/
just another techie speaking for himself