RE: Kpps vs. Bandwidth [7:76249] posted 09/26/2003

You have to know the average (or minimum) frame (not packet -- L2 vs L3)
size.

DS-3 is not equivalent to 150Kpps, it was just an estimate for small IP
packets. And as a matter of fact it was probably not a very good estimate. I
was thinking about FastEthernet, where the max is about 148Kpps one way, and
I thought the DS-3 being 90Mbps total would be close. On a second thought
however, the encapsulation on serial lines is probably a lot more efficient
than on Ethernet (due to the interframe gap and that ungodly long preamble),
so a maxed out DS-3, depending on encapsulation, might be significantly
higher than 150Kpps. For example, an OC3 POS line can do 353Kpps in one
direction, which is more than twice of the FE rate even though the bps
number is just 1.5 times higher (100Mbps vs. 155Mbps).

Thanks,

Zsombor