Re: DLCI 1 more time [7:75984] posted 09/23/2003

""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
> At 5:12 PM +0000 9/23/03, " Chuck Whose Road is Ever Shorter " wrote:
> >
> >  > With the caveat that FR is often just at the edge of their cloud
> >>  (including some interprovider links).  Inside the cloud, FR maps to
> >>  ATM VCs, and increasingly MPLS tunnels.
> >

> >which reminds me - PVP's - set up the same way? hop by hop? and each
being a
> >point to point VC?
>
> OK -- acronym overload.  Are you referring to paths identified by the
> ATM VPI?  If so, think of it the VPI as a VPN ID within their cloud.
> The DLCIs would map locally to NSAPs.

a PVP, according to my reading on CCO, is a VC into which a number of PVC's
can be carried.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fwan_c/wcfatm.htm
watch the wrap - should get you close. the subtitle is "configuring virtual
path shaping "

in any case, the mechanic is that the PVP has a VPI of XXX and so all your
PVC's would have a VPI of XXX, and a VCI that varied. All PVC's with the VPI
of XXX would be associated with the PVP of XXX. does that make sense to you?

the idea is that your ATM PVP would have a CBR, and you would use your ATM
edge equipment to create PVC's with different ATM service classes - VBR-rt,
VBR-nrt, UBR, etc for your different traffic.