RE: DLCI 1 more time [7:75984] posted 09/23/2003

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

> The thread title keeps reminding me of:
>
> Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more;
> Or close the wall up with our English dead!
> In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
> As modest stillness and humility;
> But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
> Then imitate the action of the tiger...
> I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
> Straining upon the start. The game's afoot!
> Follow your spirit; and upon this charge,
> Cry, "God for Harry! England and Saint George!"
> --Henry V, III:1

I just saw Henry V at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Next year, we get
Henry VI, parts 1, 2, and 3. Sounds deadly, but will probably be pretty good
nonetheless. See below...

> But, returning to technical content,
> >
> >The telco's Frame Relay "cloud" consists of a bunch of
> switches with
> >pre-configured tables that say, "if it comes in on this
> circuit with this
> >DLCI, send it out on this circuit with this DLCI." There's a
> table like this
> >at every hop in the cloud.
> >
> >Priscilla
> >

> With the caveat that FR is often just at the edge of their
> cloud
> (including some interprovider links).  Inside the cloud, FR
> maps to
> ATM VCs, and increasingly MPLS tunnels.

Good point. But it's still essentially a lot of manual configuration, hop by
hop, except for the the tunnels which might encompass a few hops.

Ref the other thread (why he keeps starting new threads, I don't know) where
he expresses astonishment about the amount of manual config.

Thanks

Priscilla