RE: DLCI 1 more time [7:75984] posted 09/23/2003

The thread title keeps reminding me of:

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger...
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot!
Follow your spirit; and upon this charge,
Cry, "God for Harry! England and Saint George!"
--Henry V, III:1

But, returning to technical content,

>The telco's Frame Relay "cloud" consists of a bunch of switches with
>pre-configured tables that say, "if it comes in on this circuit with this
>DLCI, send it out on this circuit with this DLCI." There's a table like this
>at every hop in the cloud.
>
>Priscilla

With the caveat that FR is often just at the edge of their cloud
(including some interprovider links).  Inside the cloud, FR maps to
ATM VCs, and increasingly MPLS tunnels.