Re: Blocking IM [7:75745] posted 09/19/2003

Someone on the other news groups had an excellent idea.

It's pretty hard to filter based on IP, since these services use a lot of
differnt IP addresses. If you have a DNS server you control, then set up a
black hole for the FQDN of each of these services, sending back a bogus IP
address--then, your users won't be able to access these services.

When I heard of this, I thought, "now why didn't I think of something as
simple as that?"

Cheers!
--

Richard A. Deal

Visit my home page at http://home.cfl.rr.com/dealgroup/

Author of CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide (Exam 640-801),
Cisco PIX Firewalls, CCNA Secrets Revealed!, CCNP Remote Access Exam Prep,
CCNP Switching Exam Cram, and CCNP Cisco LAN Switch Configuration Exam Cram

Cisco Test Prep author for QuizWare, providing the most comprehensive Cisco
exams on the market.