Re: route-map V distribute list's [7:70121] posted 06/04/2003

A route-map is just way more flexible.

A distribute-list will afford you a single access-list in which you must
define everything, where as a route-map allows you to use multiple
access-lists.  This is especially important during temporary changes to
a network topology, where a new route-map clause can be added without
changing the existing access list.

Route-maps also allow you to match on more than the routes to be
redistributed (such as outgoing interface, next hop IP, advertising
router, etc).

For most implementations, I've found that a distribution list is all
that's required.  Even so I still use route maps, because you never know
what you'll need down the road.

- Tom