Re: ??? collapsed backbone ??? [7:64467] posted 03/05/2003

""Steven Aiello""  wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
>    in a recent post I saw the term "collapsed backbone".  I know that
> the network backbone is usually a high speed connection that a server
> farm sits on, and could even extend out to your IFD's.  However I'm
> fuzzy on the term collapsed backbone.  What dose this imply.

I believe the term comes out of the wiring / cabling world, and not from
routing architecture.

A "collapsed" backbone has all wiring closets linked back directly to the
BDF / MDF

a "distributed" backbone has the wiring going from closet to closet in a
series