RE: CCIE Self-Employment [7:62394] posted 02/04/2003

to me ccie is an impressive cert because it is hard to obtain, but so what?
it just means that you know how to configure some routers, switches and
know protocols and etc, to me what is important is how you can apply your
knowledge in a real work situation, how good are you in designing a
network, how good are you in troubleshooting when problems occur, how soon
can you fulfill a request when a project comes thru and you need to be fast
and efficient in fulfilling that request, can you think in an overall
scenario of how to design and build a redundent and functional network for
a company, the core engineers in my company, some have ccies and some dont,
the ones that doesnt have them can probably run circles around some ccies
that are out there in the industry
i am also going after my certs but i am only doing it because of pressure
from upper management and it will make my resume look better

this is just my 2 cents :)

supernet@xxxxxxxx
                      m                        To:
cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:
cc:
                      nobody@xxxxxxxxxx        Subject:  RE: CCIE
Self-Employment [7:62394]

.com

                      02/03/2003
08:16

PM
                      Please respond

supernet

Not sure about Chicago area, but in my area, rate is generally above
$150/hr. And guess what, I'm in Silicon Valley.

To configure a router or switch is simple. Worst case, pick up the phone
and call TAC will solve most configuration problems. Customers are
looking for someone that can run the show. CCIE is not enough, you also
need to know how to do project management and very importantly, how to
BS.

This is based on several interviews I had during the past couple of
weeks.

Yoshi